Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - November 21, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
INVITATION TO SUBMIT AN EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
AS TO THE AVAILABILITY OF SPACE FOR LEASE IN
BRANDON, MANITOBA
FILE NUMBER: 81003031
Public Services and Procurement Canada is asking
interested parties to submit a response by December 9,
2025, with respect to providing office space for lease in
buildings in Brandon, for a term of 10 years commencing
on or about February 1, 2030.
To view the complete text of this invitation,
consult CanadaBuys at
https://canadabuys.canada.ca/en/tender-opportunities
or contact Dayo Adeyemo at
dayo.adeyemo@pwgsc-tpsgc.gc.ca
or 587 385 7301.
A
SERIAL arson spree in Winnipeg
could lead to security changes
for MLAs and their constituency
offices, while some business owners
spend thousands to add surveillance
cameras or brighter lights.
The offices of Families Minister
Nahanni Fontaine and Housing, Addic-
tions and Homelessness Minister Ber-
nadette Smith, and several downtown
restaurants and bars were set on fire
— allegedly by the same suspect — be-
tween June and November.
“We convene a regular table here at
the legislative assembly with regards
to MLAs, ministers, the activities that
happen within this building and the
activities that happen at constituency
offices,” Justice Minister Matt Wiebe
said Thursday.
“We’re certainly going to be taking
the information that we’re learning
from this investigation and incorpor-
ating that into our protocols, but that’s
an ongoing discussion that continues to
happen.”
Premier Wab Kinew said last month
security may be increased at constitu-
ency offices.
The Winnipeg School Division’s of-
fice on Wall Street and an addictions
treatment centre in North Point Doug-
las were also targeted.
Some businesses are planning to up-
grade security to help deter crime or
identify suspects after a crime.
“We’re going to be adding a couple
more cameras and lighting,” said Niko-
la Maharajh, owner of the Common-
wealth Kitchen & Bar at Main Street
and McDermot Avenue, which has been
closed since a July arson.
Kishan Zalawadai, owner of La Roca,
which reopened after being targeted
Nov. 14, said he will improve lighting
around the Smith Street restaurant and
bar, about a block from police head-
quarters.
He looked into installing shat-
ter-proof glass, which would cost him
more than $60,000. The entrepreneur
made significant investments in secur-
ity cameras and lighting last summer.
Police reviewed his surveillance foot-
age after the blaze. The suspect’s face
was covered by a mask, said Zalawadai,
who has at least 20 cameras at a cost of
about $500 each, excluding installation.
“It’s cost thousands of dollars,” he
said.
Jay Kilgour, chair of the Manitoba
Restaurant and Foodservices Associ-
ation, is planning to improve lighting
around his Grant Avenue restaurant
and bar, Fionn MacCool’s, after conver-
sations with police Chief Gene Bowers
and senior officers this week.
“Arsons are a big deal, and there’s
very little we can do about it,” he said.
“In both meetings I’ve had this week,
they’ve stressed there’s cameras
everywhere, but there isn’t a lot of light
everywhere.”
At a news conference Wednesday,
police Insp. Jennifer McKinnon en-
couraged property owners to invest in
security cameras and lighting, which
allows for better footage of suspects.
Jesse Wheatland, 35, was charged
with 22 arson, break-in and damage-re-
lated offences after he was arrested
Tuesday, police said.
The province is launching a $2,500
security rebate for businesses next
month.
“I’m encouraged that this will happen
very soon,” Kilgour said. “You know,
$2,500 doesn’t go a long way for secur-
ity equipment, but maybe for a business
owner that has nothing, that’s their
entry-level step into protecting their
business better.”
Wiebe said the total fund is $10 mil-
lion.
“It not only protects businesses, but it
protects whole communities,” he said of
security systems.
Progressive Conservative justice
critic Wayne Balcaen said the rebate
is “reactionary,” and the government’s
focus should be paying for more police
officers, cadets and Downtown Com-
munity Safety Partnership staff.
“Whatever it takes to have those ac-
tual boots on the ground,” the former
Brandon police chief said.
One of the easiest solutions, he said,
is increasing the amount of lighting in
an area such as downtown Winnipeg.
As for MLA and office security, Bal-
caen said it’s not in Wiebe’s “wheel-
house,” nor his, to talk about possible
changes. That should come from the
assembly’s sergeant-at-arms, the Tory
MLA said.
Firefighters were called to four fires
at Smith’s office, at 804 Selkirk Ave.,
in August and September. Fontaine’s
office at 1763 Main St. was set on fire
twice in September.
Their staff have been working from
home and at the legislature since then.
Smith said Wednesday staff changed
their routines, even driving home
“other ways,” out of concern for their
safety.
“We’ve had to do that, too. No one
should have to do that,” she said.
Smith’s office will reopen in the new
year. The owner of the building — where
Fontaine’s office was situated — told
her the space will be ready in six to nine
months, should she choose to return.
“It certainly does make me consider
if there are different spaces to having
a constituency office. Maybe ones that
are maybe not at the ground level,” Fon-
taine said Wednesday.
“Those are some of the conversations
that myself and my team are having,
whether or not we need to look at if it’s
safe for us to be in the space that we
were just a little while ago and that is
currently being renovated.”
MLAs can claim up to $4,400 during
a four-year session for the installation
and operation of security systems at
constituency offices, homes or regular-
ly used temporary second homes, such
as cottages. The allotment also applies
to personal protective services when at-
tending a public event.
Spending varied in 2024-25, with
some MLAs spending the maximum
amount and some claiming nothing, a
report on their expenses showed. Fon-
taine, for example, claimed $4,400 and
Smith claimed $227.81.
— with files from Nicole Buffie and Carol Sanders
fpcity@freepress.mb.ca
TOP NEWS
A3 FRIDAY NOVEMBER 21, 2025 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
MLAs also mull safety options after arrest made in arson spree
Restaurants putting security on the menu
CHRIS KITCHING AND SCOTT BILLECK
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
Commonwealth Kitchen & Bar owner Nikola Maharajh says he will be adding more cameras and lighting around his business after being targeted in an arson spree in July.
MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS
Jay Kilgour, owner of restaurant and bar Fionn MacCool’s, says officers advised him there isn’t enough light around his establishment.
On Tuesday around 7 p.m., police arrested
a suspect near the Addictions Foundation
of Manitoba treatment facility on Magnus
Avenue in the North End. It’s one of the sites
he’s alleged to have damaged over the past
five months.
Winnipeg Police Service officials said the
arrest was the result of collaboration between
several of its units and the Winnipeg Fire
Paramedic Service during an extensive and
complex investigation.
Police allege Wheatland committed 22 ar-
son, break-in and property-damage offences
at 11 locations since June 11, including fires
at the constituency offices of Families Min-
ister Nahanni Fontaine and her colleague,
Housing, Addictions and Homelessness Min-
ister Bernadette Smith, as well as downtown
bars and restaurants.
A Facebook account under the name Jesse
Wheatland has posted comments in a Point
Douglas community group, which is within
Smith’s constituency.
The posts express opposition to a super-
vised consumption site — a project led by
Smith — that had been proposed for the
neighbourhood. The government scrapped
the original plan following public backlash-
over the location and is now considering a
new site nearby.
Investigators would not comment on a
possible motive, but confirmed the case is
unrelated to previous extortion-related fires.
They have also not ruled out his involvement
in additional incidents.
“(The arrest) is a relief because one of our
biggest fears when it comes to reopening was
not having anyone arrested for the first fire,”
Maharajh said.
Wheatland is charged with 13 counts of
arson causing property damage, two counts
of break-and-enter and commit arson, one
count of arson with disregard for human life,
four counts of mischief under $5,000 and two
counts of break-and-enter with intent. He
remains in custody.
A court search showed Wheatland has no
criminal convictions in Manitoba, and police
said he was not previously known to them.
Wheatland is scheduled to appear in court
on Tuesday.
“I met with my client, and we are waiting
for police files before we proceed further,”
his lawyer, Martin Glazer, said Thursday.
A LinkedIn profile in Wheatland’s name
says his security expertise includes “uni-
formed guard service, loss prevention,
events, traffic control and system monitor-
ing.”
The profile listed him as head of security
for a company — starting in 2018 — and the
owner of a mobile personal training service
from 2014 to 2018.
The page said he obtained a provincial
security guard licence in 2009.
Wheatland also worked odd jobs, including
home renovations, according to people who
know him.
A contractor who briefly worked with him
in June said Wheatland was on the job on a
casual part-time basis.
Wheatland mentioned he used to work
security for restaurants and bars, said the
contractor, who asked not to be identified.
Former employers also said that Wheatland
briefly worked for AC Security Inc. The com-
pany declined to comment on Thursday.
One of Wheatland’s cousins was shocked
when she learned about his arrest from a
Free Press reporter Wednesday night.
“This is terrible news,” said the cousin, who
agreed to speak on condition of anonymity. “I
don’t know what happened. He’s a good kid.
He comes from a damn good home.”
The cousin said she had been worried about
Wheatland for some time. She said he didn’t
have a home of his own and worked odd jobs,
sometimes staying in unoccupied homes he
was hired to renovate.
She said she gave him rides and offered
meals when he was in need. They last spoke
about a month ago.
Wheatland grew up in the West End and
attended Tec-Voc High School. One of his
uncles is a retired firefighter, the cousin said.
— With files from Dean Pritchard and Chris Kitching
scott.billeck@freepress.mb.ca
ARSON ● FROM A1
;