Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - November 22, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
You can make a difference
for Manitobans with cancer.
6{(y CancerCareManitoba
� FOUNDATION
Alf funds raised stay in Manitoba.
DONATE TODAY cancercarefdn.mb.ca
TOP NEWS
A3 SATURDAY NOVEMBER 22, 2025 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
Nurses ‘done with unsafe working conditions,’ union says
Thompson hospital grey-list vote a landslide
A
SECOND Manitoba hospital has
been “grey-listed” after nurses
voted overwhelmingly to discour-
age colleagues from taking work at
Thompson General Hospital until safe-
ty concerns are addressed.
Manitoba Nurses Union members
at the Thompson hospital voted 97
per cent in favour of the move Friday.
Grey-listing is a union tactic where
members warn others about an employ-
er failing to maintain professional stan-
dards and advise against taking new
positions there.
The vote came after nurses at Win-
nipeg’s Health Sciences Centre voted
to grey-list their workplace in August.
This is the first time two Manitoba hos-
pitals have been grey-listed at the same
time in the MNU’s 45-year history.
“The members have spoken,” MNU
president Darlene Jackson said after
the vote Friday.
“They’ve made it clear that they are
done with unsafe work situations, and
the expectation is that the employer is
going to remedy that.”
Voting took place Wednesday to Fri-
day, and ballots were counted Friday
afternoon.
Unionized nurses began considering
grey-listing the Thompson hospital last
year, after a man fired a gun inside the
hospital on Christmas Eve, and after
a stabbing in the emergency waiting
room in September.
The MNU said the RCMP were called
to the hospital more than 550 times in
2024.
Jackson said Thompson General Hos-
pital administration have reached out
to MNU after the vote was announced
and she expects conversations to begin
quickly.
If those conversations deteriorate,
Jackson said, members will begin dis-
couraging other nurses to work at the
hospital.
“For now, it’s really more about try-
ing to come to an agreement with the
employer,” she said.
Health minister Uzoma Asagwara
said institutional safety officers could
be stationed at the Thompson hospital
within weeks. The province commit-
ted to hiring eight of the officers for
Thompson in Tuesday’s throne speech.
Job postings for four full-time positions
and one part-time position were posted
on the Northern Health Region’s ca-
reers page on Friday.
The province also plans to hire First
Nations safety officers to monitor the
hospital for added safety and security.
“We need to make sure that health-
care workers and nurses are safer at
work — and patients and visitors. Our
priority is taking steps that have never
been taken before,” Asagwara said.
The minister said the province would
continue to take steps to improve safe-
ty.
“The union is going to do whatever
they feel is necessary to do. And I cer-
tainly respect nurses’ frustration and
concerns around challenges they’re
still facing in health care. I take that
very seriously,” Asagwara said.
Earlier this week, a spokesperson for
the Northern Regional Health Author-
ity said it planned to implement “secure
and monitored” access to the hospital
beginning Dec. 1.
Thompson Mayor Colleen Smook said
the circumstances that led to the hospi-
tal being grey-listed are very concern-
ing.
“I’ve definitely got the nurses and
doctors and the patients’ backs. I will
support whatever they’re doing,” she
said.
Smook welcomed plans to employ
institutional safety officers at the hos-
pital, but noted it will take time to hire
and train the initial officers, she said.
She is trying to obtain more informa-
tion from the province and Northern
Health about their plans for the new
security measures that will take effect
next month.
“There’s talk of metal detectors and
that at the hospital,” Smook said. “It’s a
shame to see us having to go that lock-
down way.”
She said Thompson’s council has
worked with the current and previous
provincial governments to do what it
can to help recruit and retain staff in
northern Manitoba’s largest city.
The hospital has a lot of contract
nurses, Smook said.
“I don’t blame people for not coming
here when there isn’t enough supports
and staff at the hospital for them,” she
said.
Smook said Thompson’s hospital, at
more than 50 years old, was not de-
signed to be the regional facility that it
is today. The city has lobbied the prov-
ince to build a new hospital.
MNU members voted to grey-list
HSC in Winnipeg after a string of vio-
lent incidents, including five sexual
assaults, at or around the province’s
largest hospital.
Jackson said the MNU would “grey-
list every hospital” if that’s what it took
for safety to be taken seriously after
a nurse was sexually assaulted in the
parkade of St. Boniface Hospital, on
Nov. 8.
A memo was sent to staff Thursday
from St. Boniface Hospital president
and CEO Nicole Aminot saying the
hospital had made numerous safety en-
hancements in recent years and would
“always consider doing more to help en-
sure the safety of our staff.”
The MNU has voted in favour of
grey-listing six times in 45 years. Be-
fore HSC, the most recent vote was at
Dauphin Regional Health Centre in
2007.
— with files from Chris Kitching and Nicole Buffie
malak.abas@freepress.mb.ca
MALAK ABAS
FREE PRESS FILE PHOTO
Darlene Jackson, president of the Manitoba Nurses Union, says nurses in Thompson are fed up and want change. Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara says security should improve within weeks.
GOOGLE STREET VIEW
Manitoba Nurses Union members at Thompson General Hospital voted 97 per cent in favour
of ‘grey-listing’ their workplace, amid ongoing unsafe working conditions, on Friday.
● LETT: HEAL THE RIFT /A4
;